Sunday, December 15, 2013

Adobe & Nikon Edumacation: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Convert My NEFs with Lightroom

Why Does the Photograph’s Preview Change in Lightroom and Bridge? | Adobe Evangelists - Julieanne Kost | Adobe TV"In this video tutorial Julieanne explains one of the great mysteries of Lightroom and Bridge – why Lightroom (or Bridge) displays a photograph one way and then changes the way it looks a moment later. It will all become clear with just a little information about how digital camera files are captured and displayed by different applications."

How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Convert My NEFs with Lightroom 4 | The Luminescence of Nature Photography Blog: "The beauty of processing RAW files is that every setting is plastic and reversible. However, the initial conversion parameters set the baseline for exposure, contrast, and color rendition and differ with each RAW converter application. One thing that Nikon photographers point out is that they like their default (starting point) conversion to match the “as-shot” look (as viewed on the back of their camera) as closely as possible. This makes sense. If you like the look of Nikon’s Picture Control “Standard,” then it’s very convenient to see the initial image rendered this way when you open the RAW file. After that initial conversion, you can do whatever you want to process your image."

Lightroom 4 Camera Calibration Profile Presets | Lightroom Killer Tips: "I’ve had a bunch of requests lately to update the Camera Profile presets that I released a couple of years ago so here they are. These presets simply select the Camera Profiles that you’d normally select in camera (picture controls or picture styles that increase saturation, color, contrast). If you shoot in Raw though, those styles are discarded and left off of the raw file (which is why your raw file sometimes looks a little flat in Lightroom). But Lightroom has profiles that simulate those controls in the Camera Calibration panel in the Develop module."

These should work fine for Lr 5 too.

Video – Calibration Profiles and Presets | Lightroom Killer Tips: "Last week, I posted some of my Lightroom presets for the camera profiles that you find in the Camera Calibration panel in Lightroom. After I started reading through the questions and comments I realized that a lot of people didn’t know one of the huge benefits of using presets for the camera profiles. See, the presets I gave out, were simply just shortcuts to the settings in the Calibration panel, rather than my own recipe of settings put together (which is what the presets I usually give away are). So I figured I’d do a quick video to show you a couple of ways that having presets for these profiles helps out. I hope this helps. Enjoy!"

No comments:

Post a Comment